Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sri lankan Goda Suddo...

What’s wrong with the people in Sri lanka. I have come across this question a several times. Well I am talking about the people who are trying to be too posh. A few words to define the word posh are aristocratic, superior, high-class, stylish, ect. But since I started to meet new people (I don’t want to mention where since people feel very uncomfortable then…) after leaving my school, I saw a few incidents where people try to put a funny accent when they talk or add extra styles for their actions (Gosh!!! how hard is it to explain what is running right now in my head…) The worst part is that most of the people who do this are not really matching the word posh. It is very easy to find out the people who are trying to be posh out of the real posh people. For example, one way of pointing out a posh person is that he or she talks to each and every person in the same style, same volume and in the same rhythm. But a person who is trying to be posh cannot talk like that with every person. Specially when they talk to an actual high-class person.

Why do people want to do this? Is it to get attraction? If so why can’t they use some other method rather than make funny sounds… I know this lady who speaks Sinhala with a fake accent. Every time I see her I smile (not to greet her, because of the fake accent…) She is descendent from a good Sinhala family by the way. Mostly it is girls who has this attitude. Just to mention by names of some schools, starting off from Ladies, Bishops, Musaeus, Vishaka, ect,, These schools have the same damn stupid idea.

I had a nice friend, a girl from St.Marys used to come to my chemistry class. She was in that school for 12 years, and for the final year, for some luck she got in to Ladies College. After that each time I met her, noticed that she hardly spoke a single word in Sinhala. Even that Sinhala was pronounced with an accent. Another story is that, once I met a few girl guides from Musaeus and we had a chat. Some how we started to talk about food. And I said that I can cook traditional food. Gosh what did I hear!!! All their answers and comments were similar to each other…All of them were about, not knowing how to cook or how bad they are when it comes to cooking.. Fucking Hilarious…And they think it is posh.

I am not shy to say that I am poor in English…But I am shy because I still can’t understand some of the Sinhala words in books. Living in the country for twenty years, I still couldn’t learn half of the language. I am sure you have the same problem. Cry Sri lanka…people are waiting to laugh at yourself…


N-ko-ra returns
Nishan Shanaka Korala Gamage
Writes to
Spontaneous-Combustion
from Srilanka